Is Self Care, Selfish? My answer would be absolutely not. In the case of a person who is self absorbed, they would qualify as selfish. Self care of our mentality, spirituality and physical body needs is important.
If we do not care for the needs of our being, we become lack in our thoughts and efforts to see and meet the needs of others in our lives.
Why Do We Need Self Care?
We all need self care to help us unwind from the events that surround us on a daily basis. Lately, there are many stressful situations, that causes us to tense up. We will stay that way, if steps are not taken to diffuse the tension.
Self Care Comes In Different Forms
One thing I enjoy, is seeing and hearing the beach waves, (as I know many of you do, as well). To me, just laying on the beach with an umbrella over me, listening to the waves, and feeling the breeze, totally relaxes me. Sometimes, I can think about the beach, and in my mind, hear the wave sounds. Even though I am not there, the thought of it in my mind, somehow relaxes me.
18 Ideas To Enjoy Self Care
Below is a list of ideas, that may help you find a way to relax and allow you, the “Me-Time”, you need.
- Spend time with parent(s), or loved one. It will make their day and yours.
- Listen to relaxing music or music you enjoy.
- Practice mindful breathing exercise with deep, slow breaths.
- Sit outside in the sun or shade, whichever you prefer with your favorite beverage (Unsweetened/Sweet Tea, Lemonade, Soda, Spritz Water, etc)
- Listen to the sounds of the outdoors, birds chirping, tree leaves swaying in the gentle breeze. Let the sounds, relax your mind.A
- A 10 minute warm relaxing shower, will ease stress in your body. Using aromatherapy bath gel/oil products are relaxing and beneficial to the body .
- Read the Bible and media book or magazine. Allow your thoughts to think, you have nothing else to do….let it go!!!!!
- Be sure to go to bed early enough to get 8 hours of sleep.
- Say out loud, “This too shall pass”
The Remaining 9…Ideas for Self Care
- Write down 10 things for which you are grateful and blessed.
- Enjoy a day trip, (even for only a 2 hour span of time). Take in the air and sunshine. Take photos of things that give you peace, in nature.
- Go to a coffee cafe shop. Order something “new” to you and experience the moment. Relax and look through a magazine or bring a book of your own to read. Time-out time!
- Watch a movie, that you know, will make you laugh!
- Go shopping and treat yourself to one little thing (new lipstick, earrings, sunglasses, something fun!) Just something that will give you a lift.
- Try a self-tanner, or a bronzing gel or lotion. Sally Hansen has a spray on tan that doesn’t get on your clothes and washes off. (This is an option, if you don’t like self-tanners.)
- If your nails are short, go ahead and treat yourself to a manicure and pedicure, It will be a treat, as you will have your arms, hands and legs massaged. For me, this alone is worth it!
- Make an appointment to have your hair washed, blown out dry and styled. Have your eyebrows trimmed, waxed and shaped too.
- Give yourself a facial. Use a mask and relax with soft music. Follow, with the use of a rose quartz facial roller on your face, as directed. Light a candle or two, and/ or enjoy some quiet time.
Many More Self Care Ideas
Consequently, as I researched self care ideas, the results provided literally hundreds of ideas. You may have other ideas of your own that work for you already. Hopefully, there may be something in the list, you will want to give a try, as well.
Just be sure, to find joy in your journey!